(1) This account creation form and the following pre‐screening survey are used for you to
request and create a participant account on ORSEE to participate in the research studies
at the Columbia Experimental Laboratory in the Social Sciences (CELSS) in the
International Affairs Building (IAB), Room 505. You will not be able to sign up for the
studies in the lab if you do not have a participant account. Only registered Columbia
and Barnard students with a columbia.edu or a barnard.edu email address will be able
to create participant accounts.
(2) Filling out this form and the subsequent pre‐screening survey will normally take less than
10 minutes, and all of your personal information entered will be kept fully confidential
and be accessible to the authorized administrators only. Your personal information will
under no circumstances be given out to third parties and will be kept safely in the ORSEE
repository until account deletion.
(3) Please note that by completing both this and the following pre‐screen surveys you are
consenting only to having your personal information stored in the ORSEE repository for
the purpose of creating an account on the ORSEE website and not consenting to any
specific research study.
(4) By registering on this site, you accept to receive invitations to participate in research
studies at the CELSS located on the 5th floor of the International Affairs Building, room
505. The purpose of these studies is to help social scientists better understand how
people make decisions. While you may not directly benefit by signing up to participate in
studies your participation will greatly benefit the researchers at Columbia University and
the scientific community. It is important that you understand that your participation is
voluntary. That is, you are free to withdraw at any time without penalty or loss of
benefits. You can also remove your name from this list at any time. If you have questions
or concerns about your rights or welfare as a research subject, please contact the
Columbia University Morningside Institutional Review Board (IRB) at 212‐851‐7040 or
212‐851‐7044 (fax), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(5) All the experiments you will be participating in have been approved by the Institutional
Review Board of Columbia University. This organization is in charge of making sure that
the experiments comply with all federal regulations, and in particular that each
participant has expressed his or her informed consent, and that the experiment does no
(6) All studies run with subjects recruited through this website have a strict non‐deception
policy. All the information communicated to you in the course of the experiment will be
(7) You will be notified by email of forthcoming experimental sessions, and you may then sign
up to participate in specific experiments using our web calendar. The calendar indicates
the date, starting time and approximate ending time of available sessions. If you sign up
for an experiment, you commit to arriving at the Laboratory 5 minutes before the
starting time of the session. Because most experiments require the contemporaneous
presence of all subjects, on‐time arrival is essential.
(8) If you take part in an experiment, the default payment for your participation is cash. If
payment is not made in cash, the experimenters will notify you of the alternative payment
method before the experiment.
(9) By arriving on time, you automatically qualify for receiving a show‐up payment of $5.
Experimenters are encouraged to choose experimental parameters leading to average
payments of at least $15 per hour including show‐up fee. Your actual payment amounts
may vary depending on your choices, the choices of others, and chance. Payment
amounts may vary across sessions and may differ between participants. Payment will take
place in private at the end of the sessions, and you are under no obligation to reveal to
anyone how much you earned.
(10) At the start of an experimental session, you will receive detailed instructions by the
experimenter. You are required to follow those instructions and not interact with other
participants unless otherwise instructed. You are not to cause disruption to the
(11) Interactions typically take place over a computer network, and your identity is not
revealed to other participants. Information that could identify you will remain
confidential and will be disclosed only with your permission or as required by law.
(12) If, after arriving on time for an experimental session, we cannot have you participate in
the experiment for any reason, you are entitled to the show up payment and are under
no further obligation to us.
(13) If you sign‐up for an experiment but then are unable or unwilling to come to the
laboratory, please answer to your invitation e‐mail and ask to be signed off as soon as
possible (24 hours in advance at the latest). There is no penalty for canceling your
participation in an experiment, but three failures to show‐up without notification will
lead to your name being taken off this list.
(14) Any academic report, publication, or other academic disclosure of results obtained with
the use of this software will acknowledge the software’s use by an appropriate citation of
the following publication (or an updated version): "Ben Greiner (2015), Subject Pool
Recruitment Procedures: Organizing Experiments with ORSEE, Journal of the Economic
Science Association 1(1), 114‐125".
(15) If you have any questions about our team, the research we conduct, or if you wish to
remove your name from our list and stop receiving notifications, please contact the lab manager
at celss‐email@example.com. You can also delete your data directly on the website.
On interacting with the lab staff, please be courteous and respectful.
(16) If you are interested in participating in future experiments, please provide your
information by clicking on the Register button and filling the form that will
appear. This information is securely stored in a computer database and used only by our
staff to organize and administer experiments.
(17) By pressing Accept you are indicating that you are at least 18 years of age and have read
and agreed with the policy described here. Once you have registered, you will be
contacted by us by email when experimental sessions are scheduled. You are welcome to
print a copy of this page for your records.